Sunday, January 9, 2011

Alice B. Toklas Cook Book

When my niece, attending college back East, emailed me about mentioning Alice B. Toklas in a blog, I was surprised she'd ever heard of Alice. That is, until she mentioned a discussion about ABT's famous brownies in a class. Oh yeah, college. How could I forget?
Here's the lowdown: Alice stumbled into being more famous for her marijuana brownies than for Gertrude Stein's biography of her, which GS called an autobiography. (Had GS been eating the brownies, by chance?) According to most sources, it was their painter friend, Brion Gysin, who provided Alice with the recipe. By that time elderly and working against a deadline for her cookbook, Alice included the recipe without trying it. (At least that's her story and she stuck to it. She also said she didn't inhale. Oh, never mind, I think that was somebody else.)
When the cookbook went to press in the 50's, the US refused to include the recipe, but the Brits did. I'm not going to print the recipe, but I was surprised it includes figs, peppercorns and peanuts and is more of a fudge than a brownie.
I'm sure there must be many other recipes, as well. There's a family story about when a nephew & classmates went to Disneyland on their senior trip. Evidently their sponsors couldn't figure out why the kids were all so rowdy on the bus going over and so mellow coming back after their snacks. Back in the day, teachers didn't know what to look for. Wouldn't happen now.
My personal variation on the story is when I taught 8th grade in the early 70's, I didn't have a clue. So one day I praised a kid for his clever little art project with colorful beads and feathers. One of the other kids told me it was a roach clip. Imagine my surprise that my pupil had invented a contraption to catch cockroaches.

3 comments:

  1. I like the story about your Peoria student who was caught selling bags of alfalfa :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the post! Since your Alice's recipe is not forthcoming, the cook in me feels compelled to share a recipe someone told me about. I make no claims for these brownies one way or another: Get a box of good brownie mix and fix it. Add 1 cup MJ. Nuts optional. Bake as directed. Sounds pretty easy!

    ReplyDelete